Saturday 4 May 2013

Bought the new high elf armybook


You might have missed me for some days now(properly not :P) but I haven't had real time to paint. On the other hand I bought the new High elf army book today so I thought lets make a quick review based on the rules.

First of all the biggest disadvantage for me is that we lost that nice 10 point magic thing(can't get up the real name at the moment) that gave us the knowledge of another spell for a mage using it. Otherwise there are a lot of point drops; sea guard, archers and dragon princes drop by one. While FC for the archers spears and sea guard cost 30 point instant of 25. Swordmasters and white lion drop two points in cost. The bolt thrower is now 70 point instant of 100 which makes him useful to me.

Al the cav units can have "Ithilmar barding" this follows the normal rules for barding but it doesn't give a penalty to the movement.

For so far I have seen all the units still have ASF. Also every unit has martial prowess which means they can make supporting attacks or shoot in a extra rank, this is cumulative with any other special rule that allows you to fight in an extra rank.

The new phoenixes seems to be interesting, they have a special rule called Attuned to magic which gives them standard a 5+ ward save. When rolling for the winds of magic take the highest D6 result it will have one of the following effects until the casters next magic phase:
1 ward save goes to 6+
2 -1 strength
3 +1 initiative
4 +1 attack
5 +1 strength
6 ward save goes to 4+

The new loremaster lord options is also a very interesting choice, he is a lv2 mage which uses all the signature      spells from the warhammer battle magic. I don't really like the model that GW made so this will be a conversion for my army.

The new skycutters aren't that special they are flying chariots which can have a bolt thrower or a sea helm they can be useful as very mover-able shooting flying chariot.

for the magic we now have two signature spells a healing spell, a moving spell(extra 10 or 20 inch in magic phase) and 3 different direct damage spells. The signature spells are drain magic and a missile. The lore Attribute is really nice in my opinion it gives a +1(max 3+) on your ward safe to the caster and the unit he is in til the begin of the caster next magic phase.

properly there are a lot more changes and new things but I don't have access to the old army book now and I have only read the new one quite fast.  So for now i am going to scan the whole thing after that i make a army list but before I paint any elf I have to Finis my aspiring champion and skaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment